I became so busy with my Foundation work at Christmastime that I totally forgot to share with you all, a very special package that came to me in the mail right before Christmas.
My great aunt, Edith, is my grandfather's sister and only sibling. She lives in Texas and since my mother passed away, we talk everyday. She happened to tell me one day, a couple of weeks before Christmas that she was going to send me an old fashion Christmas. She said it was what they use to do in the olden days when there was no money to go out and buy anything. I wasn't sure just what she meant by that until I opened the box up and was greeted by this little guy!
Isn't he just the cutest little thing! She had mentioned that she was making something for me and wasn't sure if her hands would keep working long enough to get it finished. I am so thankful that they did! I named him Edee Elf after Aunt Edith because that is the name that my Grandfather called her.
Next, there were these adorable little crocheted stockings. In each stocking was a gift or two, ever so carefully wrapped up in pink tissue paper.
The largest stocking held this old silver butter knife that belonged to my great, great grandmother back in the 1800's. Aunt Edith told me that it was the knife that they use to cut all the butter with.
The best part of it all, was that it was inscribed with her initials ~ SCW ~ which stood for Sallie Coulter Wulf. At this point I was in tears...and that wasn't all!
Inside the middle size stocking were these three beautiful rings. The two on each end were made by my grandfather and bore his and Aunt Edith's initials. He had made them years back before he had married. The middle ring was made by my great grandfather, the father of my grandmother. He had made it for Aunt Edith and inscribed her initials in the front. Even thouhg it is hard to see, it is beautiful!
In the smallest stocking were these priceless gems that every quilter dreams of inheriting. The thimble belonged to my great grandmother, Grandpa's and Edith's mother. This is the thimble that she used everyday and while designing dresses for Neiman Marcus. You can see by the holes in it, that it got a lot of wear. Aunt Edith told me that the buttons also belonged to her mother and were probably off of her wedding dress, as she kept them in a very special place, separate from all of her other buttons.
Oh, my goodness! And then to top it off, in the bottom of the box was this most gorgeous lapel pin. This pin has quite a story! Aunt Edith said that her mom wore this pin everyday of her life and one day it came up missing. She had been out hanging the laundry on the line when it disappeared. Four years later, when Aunt Edith was 11 years old, her mom asked her to go out and pick asparagus along the ditch bank. She just happened to look down as something caught her eye and to her amazement, there was her mother's long lost pin.
But! I have to tell you, the thing that meant the most to me was the last thing I pulled out of the box. It was a beautifully carved, wooden picture frame from right around 1900. It held the best gift of all!
That gift was pictures of my great grandfather and grandmother, my Grandfather's mom and dad. At this point I was in full tears! I couldn't believe what I was looking at! Their sweet faces warmed my heart!
What a beautiful young woman my great grandmother was and what a SWEET great aunt I have. I will always remember and treasure that day in my life, and thank Aunt Edith for teaching me, what is means to have on old fashion Christmas!

21 comments:
Oh wow Rae Ann that has got to be the most beautiful Christmas parcel to ever be received. What precious, precious gifts and so wonderful to be passed on to you. Your Great Aunt knows how much you will love them and treasure them and appreciate them. Just beautiful.
Hello Rae Ann, I will remember your post always...words cannot really describe your Aunts gifts to you.....it touched a chord within me....Warm Regards Lyn
What a truly precious box of gifts! I would be bawling too!
Rae Ann, That has to be the best Christmas gift!! I think I would have been in tears too. What treasures you have and the stories that go along with them are wonderful. What a sweet Aunt you have! I am sure you will treasure your gifts for quit a long time!
What a very special package and what a very special aunt to do that for you. It is obvious she knew she was putting these treasures in the right hands.....as she knew you would value them and make sure they are kept in the family and appreciated for generations to come. I also love the handmade things she made just for you, too. Thanks for sharing this with us.
What wonderful memories go with each item. There should be some way to catalog each story with the item so the history stays available for future generations. My favorite one is the pin that was found years later on the river banks.
What a beautiful gift! And the picture of your great grandparents is such a treasure. You have a very special aunt.
Love your posting! Warms the heart!!
Take care!
Paulette
Oh RaeAnn, I'm weeping right along with you. You have been given a treasure too special for words. I can't think of anyone who has worked harder on uniting a family thru hours and hours of genealogy and I am so delighted you have been so greatly blessed by your Great Aunt. This will be the Christmas you always remember.
What a wonderful thoughtful package Rae Ann, I would have been in tears as well. I've always wanted to make a jewelry collage maybe incorporate it in a quilt. Those jewelry pieces would make a lovely centerpiece, then add maybe some of your mothers jewelry and yours and it would make a lovely keepsake for your children and grandchildren. My girlfriend made one out of all of her old jewelry on black velvet and had it framed in a lovely gold frame. Now it's like a piece of art in her living room. I plan to make one someday.
What beautiful gifts to be given and ones that you will treasure forever!
Oh Rae Ann..what a wonderful post! And such treasures!...It is so funny that I blogged about my great Aunt Edith today!
I just love each and every thing that you showed. I'm sure you were in tears for a long time after opening your Aunt Edith's old fashioned Christmas.
x
lori
Rae Ann, Better than the gold of kings are memories of special things! You truly received some treasures did you not? I bet you are stoked with your Aunt Edith, she is special. All the best for 2010. Kind regards, Anita.
OMG, what a truly precious and wodnerful gift, your aunt obviously knows you so well, these are things to be treasured.
What wonderful treasures! You're so lucky -- your Aunt must love you very much -- and trust you to take good care of the family treasures!
Oh my gosh! What treasures. You got some wonderful family keepsakes there. She knew you'd treasure them and take care of them. How lovely.
I can't even imagine the emotion that you must have felt at opening each one of those treasured gifts. Every one had such special meaning and I am sure that your great aunt knew that you would treasure them more than anyone else would. How blessed you are to have been given them.
Rae Ann, what truly amazing gifts. The love and emotion that was packed with each gift would be unmeasurable and their value to you is pricless. Such beautiful gifts from the heart.
Wow, those gifts are amazing!!! You have been really blessed to recieve such wonderful gifts.
What wonderful heirlooms! It is wonderful that they were passed on to you. I just posted about receiving my grandmother's scissors and I am tickled pink about that!
I am speechless with the gift and treasures from your great Aunt Edith! Words don't come really!
Post a Comment